OCU Procurement Policy
O’Connor Utilities Ltd operates throughout the UK and delivers a comprehensive utility infrastructure service from project inception, through design and construction.
Our policy has been developed to assist in complying with our quality, safety and environmental management systems and to promote procurement of more ethical and sustainable products and materials.
We have committed to ‘Halving Waste to Landfill’ and consequently, we expect our supply chain to work with us to reduce the amount of construction, demolition and excavation waste going to landfill.
We will, unless specifically instructed to the contrary:
- Assess suppliers and subcontractors to ensure that they meet the requirements of our safety, quality and environmental management systems
- Identify risks and vulnerabilities in our supply chain to non-ethical practices such as modern slavery, child labour, bribery and corruption
- Procure timber from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and/ or Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) approved sources
- Where viable, give preference to the use of timber and timber products, which are assured as ‘Grown in Britain’
- Seek alternative materials incorporating higher proportions of recycled materials
- Give preference to procuring products (direct and indirect) which are able to demonstrate compliance with a recognised responsible sourcing scheme, certified by a third party, or recognised by reputable organisations such as Fair Trade
- Continually reduce our vehicle fleet’s carbon dioxide emissions by encouraging uptake of less polluting vehicles
- At all times consider the energy efficiency of plant, equipment and materials and promote those items with the greatest energy efficiency
- Ensure that whatever service or material we are purchasing, that it will be legal, ethical and in accordance with client requirements and the OCU Code of ethics
- We will abide by the principles of fair payment set out in the OGC’s Guide to best ‘Fair Payment’ practices. In order to achieve this, we will work with suppliers, clients, designers and subcontractors to promote this purchasing policy and the principles of sustainable development.
- We monitor supplier and subcontractor performance and this will be regularly reviewed
- All employees responsible for procurement of any sort within the company will take a proactive role in implementing this policy.